STR/AFP via Getty Images
- More than 227,000 people have been infected with the new coronavirus worldwide, and 9,300 have died. The city of Wuhan, China, where the outbreak started, was hardest hit.
- According to a new study about the Wuhan cases, the chance a patient who shows coronavirus symptoms dies is 1.4%.
- That figure is much lower than previous estimates for Wuhan.
- The researchers found that symptomatic patients older than 59 were five times more likely to die from the coronavirus than people between the ages of 30 and 59.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.