The investigation, known as “Operation Daylight,” started in Fort Collins, Colorado after five residential burglaries were reported between January 2019 and April 2019.
The scheme: The suspects, believed to have ties to South America, had a pattern in conducting their criminal activities.
- In each of the first five cases, the suspects arrived in broad daylight, knocked on the front door and waited for a few minutes before breaking in.
- Once inside, the suspects took cash, jewelry and safes.
- Investigators learned that the same scheme has been taking place across the country.
- The suspects burglarized a total of 26 Asian American homes in Colorado and Wyoming between January 2019 and July 2019.
- Authorities said total losses range from $1.3 million to $1.4 million.